Minghao Wu, Fei Liu and Trevor Cohn (2018) Evaluating the Utility of Hand-crafted Features in Sequence Labelling, In Proceedings of the 2018 Conference on Empirical Methods in Natural Language Processing, Brussels, Belgium, pp. 278-284.
CV can be downloaded here
- Ph.D in Computer Science (Natural Language Processing), The University of Melbourne, 2019 (expected)
- M.Eng. Software Systems Engineering, The University of Melbourne, 2013
- B.Eng. Computer Science, Beijing University of Technology, 2008
- Research Intern at Facebook AI Research (Seattle, WA, USA), Sept, 2018–Jan, 2019
- Research Assistant (Casual) at The University of Melbourne (Victoria, Australia), May, 2017–Aug, 2017
- Research Duties: Responsible for implementing a bi-directional LSTM-CRF model for sequential tagging tasks in low-resource languages for the DARPA-funded LORELEI project in collaboration with CMU.
- Research Intern at Xerox Research Centre Europe (Grenoble, France), May, 2016–Oct, 2016:
- Research Topic and Achievements: Memory Networks, deep learning approach for personality trait recognition, 3 long conference papers accepted at EACL 2017
- Supervisors: Scott Nowson, Julien Perez
- Research Assistant (Casual) at Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology(Victoria, Australia), Sept, 2014–Feb, 2015:
- Detailed Achievements: Customized Search Engine for Industry Partner. Managed to increase the accuracy of the query boundary detection process by 10% by applying machine learning techniques. Significantly improved the performance of the search engine (F-score from less than 10 to around 55 by boosting precision substantially and factoring in translation probabilities to detect paraphrases).
- Supervisor: Xiuzhen Zhang
Research Assistant (Casual) at The University of Melbourne (Victoria, Australia), Sept, 2014–Dec, 2014:
- Software Engineer at Hitachi Government & Public Corporation System Engineering, Ltd. (Tokyo, Japan), Oct, 2008–June, 2012:
- Participated (as a core developer) in the development of the GOOD-DESIGN-AWARD-winning and KIDS-DESIGN-AWARD-winning web application named ZoomSight (No.1 in market share)
- Software Engineer (Intern) at Hitachi Beijing Tech Information Systems Co., Ltd. (Beijing, China), Feb, 2008–Aug, 2008:
Awards and Additional Certificates
- Sept, 2018: ICTIR 2018 Best Short Paper Award
- Dec, 2017: ALTA 2017 Best Poster Award
- Nov, 2017: ALTA 2017 Student Scholarship
- Oct, 2017: Google PhD Travel Scholarship Award
- July, 2017: Best Paper Award, 5th Annual Doctoral Colloquium, School of Computing and Information Systems, The University of Melbourne
- Apr, 2017: Conference Travel Scholarship, The University of Melbourne
- Mar, 2017: Winning Team of Electronic Trading Challenge Hackathon
- Sept, 2016: Best Intern Presentation Award, Xerox Research Centre Europe
- July, 2016: SIGIR Travel Scholarship
- May, 2016: 3rd Prize, Microsoft Data Science Student Challenge Hackathon
- Feb, 2015 - Present: Australian Postgraduate Awards (APA Scholarship)
- Mar, 2013: IELTS Overall: 8.5/9.0 (listening: 8.5/9.0, reading: 9.0/9.0, sriting: 8.5/9.0, speaking: 7.0/9.0)
- Apr, 2011: Oracle Certified Professional, Java SE 6 Programmer
- Dec, 2009: Japanese Language Proficiency Test, Level 1 (Top Level)
- Primary language: Python, Java
- Knowledge of: TensorFlow, Keras, Theano, LATEX, Linux
- Development tools: VS Code, Eclipse, Git, SVN
- English: Full Professional Proficiency
- Japanese: Full Professional Proficiency
- Chinese: Native or Bilingual Proficiency
Bahar Salehi, Fei Liu, Timothy Baldwin and Wilson Wong (2018) Multitask Learning for Query Segmentation in Job Search, In Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on the Theory of Information Retrieval, Tianjin, China, pp. 179-182. Best Paper Award
Fei Liu, Trevor Cohn and Timothy Baldwin (2018) Narrative Modeling with Memory Chains and Semantic Supervision, In Proceedings of the 56th Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics, Melbourne, Australia, pp. 278-284.
Fei Liu, Trevor Cohn and Timothy Baldwin (2018) Recurrent Entity Networks with Delayed Memory Update for Targeted Aspect-based Sentiment Analysis, In Proceedings of the 2018 Conference of the North American Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics – Human Language Technologies, New Orleans, USA, pp. 278-283.
Fei Liu, Trevor Cohn and Timothy Baldwin (2017) Improving End-to-End Memory Networks with Unified Weight Tying, In Proceedings of the Australasian Language Technology Association Workshop 2017 (ALTW 2017), Brisbane, Australia, pp. 16-24. Best Poster Award
Fei Liu, Timothy Baldwin and Trevor Cohn (2017) Capturing Long-range Contextual Dependencies with Memory-enhanced Conditional Random Fields, In Proceedings of the Eighth International Joint Conference on Natural Language Processing, Taipei, Taiwan, pp. 555-565.
Fei Liu, Julien Perez and Scott Nowson (2017) A Language-independent and Compositional Model for Personality Trait Recognition from Short Texts, In Proceedings of the 15th Conference of the European Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics, Valencia, Spain, pp. 754-764.
Fei Liu and Julien Perez (2017) Gated End-to-End Memory Networks, In Proceedings of the 15th Conference of the European Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics, Valencia, Spain, pp. 1-10.
Julien Perez and Fei Liu (2017) Dialog state tracking, a machine reading approach using Memory Network, In Proceedings of the 15th Conference of the European Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics, Valencia, Spain, pp. 305-314.
Fei Liu, Julien Perez and Scott Nowson (2016) A Recurrent and Compositional Model for Personality Trait Recognition from Short Texts, In Proceedings of the Workshop on Computational Modeling of People's Opinions, Personality, and Emotions in Social Media, Osaka, Japan, pp. 20-29.
Fei Liu, Alistair Moffat, Timothy Baldwin and Xiuzhen Zhang (2016) Quit while ahead: Evaluating truncated rankings, In Proceedings of the 39th International ACM SIGIR Conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval, Pisa, Italy, pp. 953-956.
Andrei Shcherbakov, Ekaterina Vylomova, Fei Liu and Timothy Baldwin (2016) VectorWeavers at SemEval-2016 Task 10: From Incremental Meaning to Semantic Unit (phrase by phrase), In Proceedings of the 10th International Workshop on Semantic Evaluation, San Diego, USA, pp. 946-952.
André Dittrich, Maria Vasardani, Stephan Winter, Timothy Baldwin and Fei Liu (2015) A Classification Schema for Fast Disambiguation of Spatial Prepositions, In Proceedings of the 6th ACM SIGSPATIAL International Workshop on GeoStreaming, Seattle, USA, pp. 78-86.
Automatic Identification of Expressions of Locations in Tweet Messages using Conditional Random Fields
Fei Liu, Afshin Rahimi, Bahar Salehi, Miji Choi, Ping Tan and Long Duong (2014) Automatic Identification of Expressions of Locations in Tweet Messages using Conditional Random Fields, In Proceedings of the Australasian Language Technology Association Workshop 2014, Melbourne, Australia, pp. 171-176.
Fei Liu, Maria Vasardani and Timothy Baldwin (2014) Automatic Identification of Locative Expressions from Social Media Text: A Comparative Analysis, In Proceedings of The 4th International Workshop on Location and the Web, Shanghai, China, pp. 9–16.
Julien Perez, Scott Nowson, Fei Liu. Author personality trait recognition from short texts with a deep compositional learning approach. US10049103B2 (granted).
Julien Perez, Fei Liu, Scott Nowson. Gated end-to-end memory network. US20180232152A1 (application).
- Reviewer for: EMNLP 2017, EMNLP 2018, CoNLL 2018
- PC member: PEOPLES 2018
- Student volunteer: ACL 2018